Healthy Plymouth - Terra Cura Edible School and Community Garden Partnership
2018 - Summer in the Gardens
Organic, edible gardens are going strong at Plymouth schools. Help is needed to maintain these gardens this summer.
Please consider signing up for a week or two to make 1-2 visits per week to help water, weed, and harvest the raised garden beds. A garden task sheet will be available.
Select your preferred school from the list below to sign up:
About the Gardens
Healthy Plymouth and Terra Cura, Inc. have partnered to provide organic, edible gardens to the Plymouth Public Schools and the community. Over 100 members of the Plymouth community have worked together across sectors to install and maintain the gardens. Since April of 2016, this partnership has accomplished great things in our community, including:
- The installation of 9 organic, edible school gardens throughout the Plymouth school district
- Organic plants provided to all of the school gardens for student and community consumption
- A school-wide tomato sauce pasta lunch made from the harvest of the school gardens
- A series of intergenerational cooking classes with 50+ participants promoting a healthy lifestyle
- After-school garden programming at all eight Plymouth elementary schools in partnership with the Old Colony YMCA with an average of 150 students participating weekly
Terra Cura is a local nonprofit that integrates edible landscapes with education to create projects that restore the foundation of communities, socially, economically and ecologically. Terra Cura projects are designed to encompass education and experience, as a means of empowering the community, in a collaborative method. The engagement of peers and community members provide an environment where students can have a sense of pride an accomplishment. The engagement in the school community provides hands-on opportunities for students to engage in nature and their food systems.