Spring Pasta Salad
12 oz. pasta, shells or the shape of your choosing
10 oz. baby spinach, stemmed and cut into strips
8 oz. cherry tomatoes cut in half
4 chives cut across in ½ inch lengths
1 can (15.5 oz.) low sodium chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 cup English cucumber cut lengthwise and sliced thin
6 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons country Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Fill a large pot with water and cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Drain and rinse the pasta and toss with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Make the dressing: whisk together the rice wine vinegar, remaining olive oil, mustard, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
4. Mix the spinach, tomatoes, chives, chick peas, and cucumber into the cooked pasta shells.
5. Dress the salad with the dressing; mix together.
6. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.
Makes 16 servings
1 cup serving 160 calories
5 grams protein
3 grams fiber
260 mg. sodium
Recipe created by Chef Jerry Levine for the Delicious & Nutritious series
Nutrient Analysis completed by Marcia Richards MEd RD MCHES