Not Your Grandma's Fried Chicken
2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
1 cup fine bread crumbs or panko
1⁄2 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dried thyme
6 skinless chicken thighs
1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- With the help of your adult, turn the oven on and set it to 400 degrees.
- Pour the oil on the baking sheet and, using your clean hands or a paper towel, spread it around.
- Put the bread crumbs, flour, salt and pepper, and, cayenne (if you like it) on a large plate. Mix well.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl (throw the shells away). Add the mustard and thyme and mix well. Add the chicken pieces and swish them around until they are well coated with the egg mixture.
- Remove the chicken pieces, one at a time, from the egg mixture and let any extra egg mixture drip off.
- Dip the chicken pieces, one at a time, in the bread crumb mixture, rolling them and pressing down to coat each side.
- Shake off any extra coating, then put the chicken pieces on the baking sheet.
- With the help of your adult, put the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Using a spatula or tongs, turn the chicken pieces over and bake until golden brown, 15–20 more minutes. Serve right away, with a quarter of a lemon on each plate.
Baking sheet, Large bowl, Mixing spoon or whisk, Large Plate, Large skillet or frying pan, Spatula or tongs
HANDS-ON TIME: 10 MINUTES | TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES | MAKES: 4 SERVINGS
Recipe courtesy of http://www.chopchopmag.org/