½ cup low fat milk
2 T. sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 T. unsalted butter
2 packets active dry yeast
1 ½ cups warm water – about 105 degrees
5 cups all-purpose flour
- Place milk, sugar, salt, and butter in a small sauté` pan. Heat until butter is melted.
- Allow to cool. Dissolve yeast in warm water -105 degrees.
- Add milk mixture to yeast mixture.
- Add milk/yeast mixture to 4 ½ cups of flour in a mixing bowl with a mixing hook and mix for about 2 min.- add ½ cup of flour.
- Mix until dough clings to mixing hook and pulls away from mixing bowl. Dough should be smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl. Allow it to rise and double in volume. Punch dough down and divide into 3 balls.
- Shape each ball into a baguette shape and slash with sharp blade. Allow baguettes to double in volume.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Place 1 cup of boiling water on the rack below the baguette rack. Add baguettes and bake for 30 minutes.
(Recipe created by Jerry Levine; Nutrient Analysis completed by Marcia Richards MEd RD MCHES)
Per 1 slice: 145 calories, 4 grams protein, 1 gram fat, 230 mg. sodium